All times are UTC

Post subject: How to find base pointers when no other method works
Thanked: 1 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:21 pm 
New User
New User

Been thanked: 2 time(s)
Has thanked: 2 time(s)
Contribution Points: 227
If you got an address value with cheat engine and you want to find its base pointer, you can read the Gigus' guide here
http://www.blueeye-macro.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=743

But what if you cannot find any pointer to your address? Or what if you can find one, but then it change in few seconds?
Well, probably you're trying to get pointer to address that lives in a dynamic structure.

What can you do in this case?
Cheat Engine provides a brute force search for pointer path: it analize the assembly code and make a double iteration on starting memory cell and all his possible paths (with a max depth, obviously).

How to use it?

1- Once you got the address with Cheat Engine, put it in your table and right-click it, then click on "Pointer scan for this address". You should get a window like this:
Attachment:
img1.png
img1.png [ 24.84 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]

2- Set your preferences then click on OK. Tell to Cheat Engine where to save your result, it will create a .PTR file and some result files. Then the brute force search begins (if it takes more than 10 minutes and you have already got few billions paths, you can stop it). You should get a window like this:
Attachment:
img2.png
img2.png [ 51.41 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]

3- You will get a lot of possible paths, but most of them will be false positives. So you should go on "Pointer scanner" > "Rescan memory - ..." (or press Ctrl-R).
Attachment:
img3.png
img3.png [ 24.47 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]

Here you can rescan your pointer list. I would suggest you to generate some "game entropy" before rescanning: activate some skills, move around, change character...
You can also set a 1 or more seconds delay and "Repeat rescan untill stopped".

4- Restart the game but keep Cheat Engine on (remember to attach it to the process again); if you close it for mistake, you have to open again the "Pointer scan" window and load your .PTR file. Then find again your address value (it will probably have changed). Finally rescan your pointer path list for the new address. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you're satisfied, you can also try this on different systems.

5- The remaining paths are probably all good: double click one of them to put it in your Cheat table.

Last edited by The algorithmist on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to find base pointers when no other method works
Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:50 am 
Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor

Been thanked: 31 time(s)
Has thanked: 27 time(s)
Contribution Points: 93
so what does this contraption does lol in simple english lol and for wich games

Post subject: Re: How to find base pointers when no other method works
Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:00 pm 
New User
New User

Been thanked: 2 time(s)
Has thanked: 2 time(s)
Contribution Points: 227
This method works for all the executables, so for all games (?).
If you meant when you could need this, well I often do for a MMORPG named Florensia when I'm looking for "graphic" addresses.

The difference between this method and the Gigus' one, is that the former is automatically done by Cheat Engine but generates a lot of "wrong" pointers, the latter is done manually by you, but it could not always works.

If I misread your question and you want to know what is a pointer, I would suggest you to read the Gigus' guide I linked in the main post.