Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:12 am 
Lifetime VIP Contributor
Lifetime VIP Contributor

Been thanked: 96 time(s)
Has thanked: 66 time(s)
Contribution Points: 8639
Vtbudiono wrote:
That CheatEngine work on DMO ?

it's chatengine, cheatengine is different. try the sample macro to see what it does

it'll work for any game that BlueEye can type in, but you need to read the chat, most likely with OCR Plugin. then make the macro put reply in game and take out default response like in the sample macro

this is new so please report problems

Post subject: Re: chatengine
Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:35 am 
Lifetime VIP Contributor
Lifetime VIP Contributor

Been thanked: 78 time(s)
Has thanked: 6 time(s)
Contribution Points: 9985
Just wanted to know... Where did you learn to program... All my computer skills (ALL OF THEM) are self taught my stimulus just start a program and fuck around with it till you start doing something right... And it kinda shows in my programming skills...

Atm the only revenue that i have enough experiance to get a job in is hardware... But my field of choice is soctware engineer... More specifically games (i want to make the games i want to play... Which usually means advanced physics meaning programming is the way to go XD)

But yeah got any tips for a... Newbie of sorts.

Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:56 am 
Lifetime VIP Contributor
Lifetime VIP Contributor

i'm still learning too and looking for a job while i work on some certifications, so don't think of me too highly :) i'll try to give advice

what you're doing is probably the best way to learn, just make sure you're looking for new challenges.. projects where you don't know how to do it easily. if there's something completely new such as a new language, try searching Amazon for an up-to-date book with high ratings, get it used, and resell it when you're done if you want. if you start on a hard project do the hardest parts first. always look at how others do things for new ideas - you may be doing something repetitive and not realize you're wasting time compared to a better way... for example a different kind of loop, a compound condition, or an existing library that makes your task easy

also as you learn the 'proper way' you might revisit some of your old programs and update them to use consistent naming conventions, object-oriented design, concise comments, diagrams, and better data structures for the task. if you get a job these things are just as important as making the code work. try adding metrics to improve performance and experiment. i'm sure you know about strings, but do you know about stringbuilders? tokenizers? arraylists? threading? all high level languages deal with the same kind of concepts. once you know the concept you can learn how to do it in each new language. also try to learn about UML and try making diagrams for your projects or for new databases. it's a pain at first but will help in the long run

tbh I did most of my learning through trial and error, i had classes as well but classes really stop at the basics. if you know your way around well enough to understand objects and classes you would probably be bored in the classes after you learned the terms the teacher is throwing around. like i had a class in Java last year and they were doing stuff like a mortgage calculator, I would finish a week's assignment in a few minutes and get onto things that interested me, was silly and I learned little, didn't open the 1500pg book - it was old lol. a big focus in school is the SDLC and development methodologies like SCRUM and agile - read up on this stuff because it will probably come up in an interview

i don't really have career advice, but as far as learning, keep doing what interests you, look at certifications if you don't have time for school, try to test out of programming courses if you do start school. don't be afraid when jobs want 1-2 years experience, apply anyway and try to appear as smart as possible but if they ask you something you don't know, just tell them you haven't heard of that but you want to learn.

Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:18 am 
Lifetime VIP Contributor
Lifetime VIP Contributor

Been thanked: 78 time(s)
Has thanked: 6 time(s)
Contribution Points: 9985
sickslug wrote:
i'm still learning too and looking for a job while i work on some certifications, so don't think of me too highly :) i'll try to give advice

what you're doing is probably the best way to learn, just make sure you're looking for new challenges.. projects where you don't know how to do it easily. if there's something completely new such as a new language, try searching Amazon for an up-to-date book with high ratings, get it used, and resell it when you're done if you want. if you start on a hard project do the hardest parts first. always look at how others do things for new ideas - you may be doing something repetitive and not realize you're wasting time compared to a better way... for example a different kind of loop, a compound condition, or an existing library that makes your task easy

also as you learn the 'proper way' you might revisit some of your old programs and update them to use consistent naming conventions, object-oriented design, concise comments, diagrams, and better data structures for the task. if you get a job these things are just as important as making the code work. try adding metrics to improve performance and experiment. i'm sure you know about strings, but do you know about stringbuilders? tokenizers? arraylists? threading? all high level languages deal with the same kind of concepts. once you know the concept you can learn how to do it in each new language. also try to learn about UML and try making diagrams for your projects or for new databases. it's a pain at first but will help in the long run

tbh I did most of my learning through trial and error, i had classes as well but classes really stop at the basics. if you know your way around well enough to understand objects and classes you would probably be bored in the classes after you learned the terms the teacher is throwing around. like i had a class in Java last year and they were doing stuff like a mortgage calculator, I would finish a week's assignment in a few minutes and get onto things that interested me, was silly and I learned little, didn't open the 1500pg book - it was old lol. a big focus in school is the SDLC and development methodologies like SCRUM and agile - read up on this stuff because it will probably come up in an interview

i don't really have career advice, but as far as learning, keep doing what interests you, look at certifications if you don't have time for school, try to test out of programming courses if you do start school. don't be afraid when jobs want 1-2 years experience, apply anyway and try to appear as smart as possible but if they ask you something you don't know, just tell them you haven't heard of that but you want to learn.

Thanks sounds like what im already doing...

Only you know ive been doing moar bem then actual programming languages... And on top of that i havnt done many projects lately (the last thing i coded with bem was like... 2-3 months ago... Atleast... And the last thing i coded outside of bem was a like bomb using javascript (my army in firefall got into a like war with another army so i pulled the code for a like out of there website... Still havnt automated it or made the iframe dynamic (the post urls are all the same except for the number so im planning to use an iframe for it) but i have an idea of how ill do it)

Also the only cert im doing is a cert 2 in computer assembly and repair

Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:18 am 
Lifetime VIP Contributor
Lifetime VIP Contributor

i think game development is its own thing anyway, you probably want to pick up some books on game design, cryengine, UDK, source, unity, scripting, c++. knowing all this may not help you get a degree as much (except the c++) but if you want to make games it'll be good... check out the education options though at least an Associates so you can snag an internship

i'll throw in one of my projects for your amusement... may give you ideas for your projects. use at your own risk since it's an executable. should run on any windows pc. written in vb.net
Attachment:
[The extension exe has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]
enjoy. it's actually on download.com but i haven't upgraded that one to the fancy splash screen heh

Thanked: 1 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:19 am 
New User
New User

Been thanked: 1 time(s)
Has thanked: 1 time(s)
Contribution Points: 41
anyone has try this on RO2? seems i have to try it out. afraid guildies PM and talking rubbish to them LOL.

Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:06 pm 
Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor

Been thanked: 13 time(s)
Has thanked: 19 time(s)
Contribution Points: 32
interesting feature i think

Thanked: 1 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:28 pm 
Active User
Active User

Been thanked: 6 time(s)
Has thanked: 0 time(s)
Contribution Points: 31
I agree with SlickSlug, that I didn't get much "experience" from the software dev classes I took. Most of the time I felt like, "Okay I get it already, lets move on..." Just like SlickSlug, our weeks assignment would be done in class before it was over. The rest of the class-time was spent writing code to experiment with things we haven't gone over in class, or helping other mates.

I'm saying this because the point about the need to teach yourself is 100% accurate. That goes 10x fold in the software-dev world. All of the pre-baked projects that you will be assigned to learn in classes are only designed to reinforce KNOWN techniques-- which, don't get me wrong, is necessary. However, being able/willing to research something on your own when you encounter a problem that was never addressed in any of your classes (and you will frequently) is what separates those who try to develop software solutions from those who create software that actually IS a solution.

Now, that being said, I actually only have two Associate Degrees (1 software dev and 1 Network Technologies). Both are about 3+ years old now, and I'm thinking hard about going back for my BS.
Not because I feel that it's necessary for career placement (certainly doesn't hurt), but because I think more, the more I think. What I mean by that is, whenever I'm taking classes, my brain just seems to work better. Also, being assigned work, forces me to actually spend time coding/thinking that, otherwise, I wouldn't have to do. It's just a kick in the rump to get my programming/logical juices flowing; and when I'm thinking clearly, I can be pretty creative.

See, knowledge by itself is good, but is only a part of the picture. For example, a puzzle is made up of many pieces. Each piece represents "knowledge" of an idea or concept, and is a fact. As we collect the pieces, we don't have any greater realization of the puzzle picture, that is, until we start putting them together. Well, the process of finding what pieces go where and how that affects the remaining puzzle-- is EXPERIENCE. Now, you could pay someone to show you where many or all of the puzzle pieces go, but unless they imparted skills to teach you how to figure it out yourself, then the only thing you learned was how to put together that particular puzzle. Don't get me wrong here, unless you just don't pay attention at all, most people WILL pick up on the concepts and gain valid experience while following someone elses exact instructions. What's important to realize, is that it's the experience of WORKING with the knowledge, that lets you piece them together into a greater UNDERSTANDING. Which is exactly why I wan't to go back to school, to be forced to WORK with the knowledge I have (to put together some interesting puzzle pictures) and to gain additional knowledge (to build onto the existing picture).

I hope this analogy helped and didn't totally confuse anyone.
Made since in my head, anway. :p

Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:01 am 
New User
New User

Been thanked: 0 time(s)
Has thanked: 0 time(s)
Contribution Points: 19
does'nt work for me

Thanked: 0 time(s)  Unread post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:06 pm 
Silver Contributor